The chest is a crafted block that can contain items.
Chests can be obtained by crafting, or by breaking previously-placed chests or generated chests.
A chest can be broken using anything, but an axe is the fastest. Breaking a chest will drop the chest and all the items it contains onto the block below where the chest was previously located.
Chests naturally generate as a bonus chest and loot chests.
Bonus chest is a regular chest that is spawned in the overworld containing a small set of randomized starting materials.
It can be enabled or disabled when creating a new world.
The chest generates based on the world's seed number. Up to 8 slots can be filled with starting materials, which is randomly chosen from the list below:
- 1-2 Saplings
- 6-12 Wooden planks
- 1-2 Apples
- 1-3 Bread
- 1 Wooden pickaxe (No damage)
- 1 Wooden axe (No damage)
- 1 Stone pickaxe (20-50 damage)
- 1 Stone Axe (20-50 damage)
- 2-3 Torches
- 5-20 Bamboo
A chest is a useful block to a new player running out of inventory space, and for a player that wants to store and sort excess blocks and items. It is also a good way for storing valuable items, as the player won't lose them upon death if they are not in the player's inventory.
|Prior to 1.4.34||Day 13||
|1.23||Oct 31, 2012||
|1.24||Dec 22, 2012||
|1.25||May 11, 2013||
|1.27||Nov 13, 2015||
|1.28||Oct 08, 2016||
- Chests and furnaces are crafted similarly, with the only difference being in the type of block used in the crafting pattern (craft a chest with wood planks, craft a furnace with cobblestone).
- It's not possible to make a double (large) chest like in Minecraft, however this is a planned feature for 1.29.[Citation needed]