A pickaxe is required to obtain any stone, and must be of a suitable material for different minerals.
- Bedrock cannot be broken by any means in Survival mode.
3 x head material across the top row, and 2 sticks/bamboo vertically below the centre. Head materials below.
Successive types include the abilities of previous ones but can mine faster.
Collects: rock/cobblestone (as cobblestone), coal, sandstone, end stone.
Has faster speed: glow stone, odd rock, bone.
Breaks: iron, lapis, redstone, obsidian, topaz, ender gem.
- The only pick craftable without prior tools. Fine for rocks, but don't use on some ores or you'll lose them.
Collects: iron, coral
Has faster speed: glow stone, odd rock, bone, rock/cobblestone (as cobblestone), coal, sandstone, end stone.
Breaks: lapis lazuli, redstone, diamond, obsidian, ender gem.
- Decent, disposable general-purpose pick when you don't need better.
Collects: lapis lazuli, redstone, gold, diamond, ender gem.
Has faster speed: glow stone, odd rock, bone, rock/cobblestone (as cobblestone), coal, sandstone, coral, end stone, netherrack, iron, topaz.
- Collects almost everything it breaks.
- Same as Iron. Gold is very weak and better saved for items that need it than wasted on equipment.
Has faster speed: all blocks except obsidian.
- Rare, long lasting pickaxes. Collects all blocks it breaks including obsidian.