Farming is a simple, yet useful part of the game. There are many types of plants and many kind of terrain to use.
How to farm
Sugarcane, bamboo, cactus, and seaweed
These plants grow from upwards from one of themselves, so the player can break the block above the first one, causing all the ones above to fall as items, and it will carry on growing.
- Sugarcane can be placed on dirt or sand and it will grow up to 4 blocks tall.
- Bamboo can be placed on dirt, and it will grow up to 10 blocks tall.
- Seaweed can be placed into a source water block on sand or dirt. It can only grow in source blocks, and it can grow up to 10 blocks if there is enough water.
- Saplings grow into trees. They can be regular without any fruit, or contain apples, oranges, or lemons. Bone meal can be used to speed up growth. If the wood blocks are removed, the leaves will begin to decay, dropping saplings and any fruit they had inside.
- The golden apple seed, if placed on a gold block, will grow into a tree which actually has golden apples in its leaves. Bone meal cannot be used on the golden apple tree sapling. It is renewable though because if put into the crafting grid, it will give golden apple seeds.
- You can put a block of water into dirt and use a hoe plows up to 3 blocks to the right and left of it, to create farmland. On farmland, you can plant seeds, potatoes, carrots, melon seeds, pumpkin seeds, and beetroot seeds.
- To plow dirt select the hoe tool and shift-click on the dirt. Its only known purpose is to use in making a farm.
- Mushrooms grow spontaneously on bare mycelium and can be harvested freely, but obtaining mycelium is difficult. It can only be 'mined' by a tool enchanted with silk touch, other tools merely yield a dirt block. It can be moved by piston. Bone meal cannot be used on mycelium.
- Mushrooms can be farmed by planting small mushrooms and using bone meal on them to grow giant mushrooms, which each yield multiple mushrooms when harvested.
- Red and yellow flowers, red and brown mushrooms, sugarcane, long grass, and shrubs can be produced by using bonemeal on grass blocks.
- Cactus, desert shrub, and shrub can be grown, by using bone meal on sand blocks.
- Nether warts can be grown on soul sand. When fully grown crop is harvested it drops 1-4 nether wart. If broken before maturing, it will drop nothing.
- If farmland does not have water near it, it turns back into dirt.
- You can actually plant red flower and yellow flower, but is pretty much useless since they don't grow.
- You can place blocks of dirt on the water to make it easier to cross the ocean or sea and grow crops without buckets