Fire is an effect that can catch other flammable blocks on fire as well.
Fire can be started on nearby flammable blocks in the following cases:
- Lava is within two blocks nearby, without other blocks imbetween
- Using a flint and steel
- When a flaming chicken is in close proximity
- A block on fire is nearby, and fire spreading is enabled (as it is by default)
If the block ignited using flint and steel isn't flammable, fire will appear for a brief second before disappearing.
Fire can be placed on mobs using flint and steel, and will continue to burn them until they die, unless they enter water. Certain mobs are immune to fire damage, including most nether mobs. Mobs with raw food drops will have their meat cooked upon fire death.
- Fire spread can be toggled via the gamerule "dofiretick" via commands. To disable the spreading of fire, use
gamerule dofiretick false
- 1.28: Fires are not properly retained when the blocks are unloaded.[Citation needed]