|Mine with:||Hand, Axe|
The bed can be broken with anything, but using an axe will speed up the process.
The bed is crafted out of three Wooden planks and three pieces of Wool, making it fairly simple for the player to obtain early on. Since the 1.29 update, Beds now come in 16 different colors not including the Rainbow wool.
The player can use a bed by holding shift (or whatever the "right click" key is bound to) and left-clicking the bed. The player can use it as long as it in range of the player's crosshair.
Using a bed in the Overworld results in the player "sleeping", which instantly causes the time to be set to daytime. This means the player does not have to deal with the mobs that spawn because of the darkness at night. A bed does not have to be used inside of a player-built structure; it can be used in an open, natural area, making a "portable" bed useful for exploring. If a player attempts to use a bed during daytime, the player will get the message "You can only sleep at night!".
When on a bed, the player is able to jump three blocks high instead of two.
- Beds can be placed on some non-solid blocks.
- The bed, despite being in the "Decorations" tab on the creative inventory, is solid, unlike most blocks in that tab.
- The blocks under a bed can be removed while leaving the bed intact, causing the bed to remain in midair. This is normal behavior, since a bed is a solid block.
- Despite being shorter in height than a normal block, the bed's collision has one block in height.
- Despite being craftable in 16 different colors, only the red bed is present in the creative mode inventory, where it is simply called "Bed".