The number of wolves in a world is limited. This means that if the maximum is reached, no more wolves spawn unless a wolf is tamed turning it into a dog, a wolf despawns, or is killed.
The wolf drops nothing but a small amount of xp when killed by the player. This, and the danger that comes with damaging wolves, makes them rarely hunted by players.
Wolves are neutral mobs. If left alone, they will wander around, jump in place and yip. Wolves can jump two blocks high. If there is a sheep or rabbit nearby, a wolf will chase and cause damage to it.
If a wolf is attacked, it becomes aggravated. It will follow the player, growl, and do damage if it gets close enough. This also makes it no longer able to be tamed.
|12||Tame a Wolf.||Tame a wolf into a dog (using bones on the wolf).|
|1.22.4||Jul 19, 2012||
|1.27||Nov 13, 2015||
- Wolves no longer provoke other wolves when hit by the player, and will also no longer chase the player or mobs. Hostile wolves can still cause damage if they make contact with their target by chance, however.
- When tamed, they often make duplicates that appear in different places
- Wolves are one of the few mobs that can attack the player in peaceful mode, the others being the snow golem, the flaming chicken, and the ender dragon.
- If other wolves are nearby when one is hit, they will all chase and attack the player. (Currently does not work, see bugs above)
- If a wolf comes in contact with a rabbit or a sheep, the wolf will become aggravated at it, and if it kills it the items will drop from the killed animal.
- Screen Shot 2013-03-29 at 9.19.27 PM.png
A tamed dog