If you attack or hit a mob and a dog is not in sitting position, the dog will attack the mob until it dies, or its target changes in the middle of the fight. Shift-clicking on a dog will make it sit. In this sitting position, it cannot move or attack a mob, but it can still take damage from hostile mobs.
Unlike the untamed wolf, the dog's health can be measured by the angle of its tail. If the tail is pointing downward, its health is low.
You may feed them food such as pork and chicken to regain their health.
If the dog is given a dye, the collar switches to the dyed color. For example, bone meal will change the dog's collar to white.
- If a dog gets trapped somewhere and you walk off screen, it will transport back to you in a few seconds.
- Cookies can be used to greatly heal hurt dogs.
- Dogs can whimper when very low on health. it is the same sound as a wolf getting hurt.
- Most mobs can occasionally become stuck in walls and climb them by jumping.
- 1.28: Dogs used to chase the player when off-screen. Now they just wait until they are far enough away from the player and teleport to them.