Bedrock is the only material in the game that cannot be mined with any pickaxe in the game, or with any other tool.
It can be placed and removed in creative mode, but it can't be removed by mining in Survival mode.
Bedrock forms the boundaries in the Overworld, bottom (x=0 to x=1000), and sides of the map (y=0 to y=300). This material is "protection" to prevent the player from falling into the void. Note that if you fall through it you will die, even in creative mode. It also forms the boundaries of the Nether, however in the Nether there is also a top layer.
Bedrock has a 1 in 30 chance to be dropped by a Nethereye. The chance increases if it is killed with a sword enchanted with looting.
The only way to break it is in creative mode, although this is not recommended.
- 1.27 Blazes no longer drop Bedrock.
- 1.25 Bedrock naturally generates in the End.
- 1.23 Blazes drop Bedrock.
- ? Nethereyes can drop Bedrock.
- Bedrock naturally generates in the Nether.
- Outside the bottom bedrock is a thin layer of stone, liquids and ore. And structures can rarely be found.
- On the sides of the map, sometimes when you close and reopen the game, the bedrock will go from 2 to 1 block thick.